Mama

Mama, do you know? Because I know I don’t say it enough…

You are my whole world, even when I storm away in a huff

 

Mama, do you know? I used to think you were a superhero

I’m still not sure it isn’t magic you use to create plenty from zero

 

Mama, do you know? No scarred knee heals without your kiss

And without your constant reminders, there is always something amiss

 

Mama, do you know? Without you, everything plays hide and seek

And under your watchful eye, there is no secret I could sneak

 

Mama, do you know? I always wish you first on Teacher’s Day

Because before teaching me math and science, you taught the world’s way

 

Mama, do you know? Your words were the only thing that kept me going

Even when everyone else was bent on sinking the boat I was rowing

 

Mama, do you know? When you say everything will be fine

Suddenly all of the wrong is right, by a power that can only be divine

 

Mama, do you know? If I ever fly away from your nest

I will always come back right away, probably before you get time to rest

 

Mama, do you know? A mere thank you is too small to write

To encompass every tear soaked dupatta  and sleepless night

 

Mama, do you know? Because I know I don’t say it enough…

I will love you until the end, and trust me, that is no bluff

Comments